Requirement for Students Only:
All students complete community service hours as part of their Theology grade and graduation requirement. Freshmen have to complete a minimum of 15 hours, Sophomores-20 hours, Juniors-25 hours and Seniors-40 hours. Projects should be performed for non-profit organizations such as churches, schools, public service agencies, and environmental groups. Non-profits are preferred and encouraged. Projects through for-profit organizations must reflect Catholic social teaching and fall within the category of a Corporal Work of Mercy. Exceptions will be considered individually at the discretion of the Theology Department. Every student completes a Community Service Hour form(available on-line, in Theology classrooms and in the school office) for each project they work with. The form is signed by the program coordinator, the student and their parent and given to the campus minister.
The following guidelines have been established to ensure that student ministry hours remain faithful to the mission of the Community Service Program:
• Students can earn hours at any time. Additional yearly hours will be applied to subsequent yearly requirements.
• Community service hours also serve to qualify students for a Florida Bright Futures Academic Scholarship.
• It is the responsibility of each student to return accurate forms to the theology teacher as soon as possible following completion of the service.
• Each student must be responsible, honest, dependable, and punctual while representing Father Lopez. If a student must cancel, or is aware that he/she will be late for an assignment, the student should immediately contact the agency at which the project will take place in order to notify them of this change.
• All projects must be performed for non-profit organizations such as churches, schools, public service agencies, and environmental groups. Exceptions will be considered at the discretion of the Theology Department.
• Service hours will be counted as a project grade towards the fourth quarter average in Theology Classes.
• Hours cannot be counted towards both Community Service and Family Service Hours (i.e. no double dipping).
FAMILY SERVICE HOURS:
Requirement for all Guardians and Students
All families give 20 volunteer hours to help our school. Parents sign a contract (as part of the registration) to volunteer at least 20 hours at Father Lopez events (athletic, fundraising and/or club events, etc.) or pay a $200.00 service fee. These hours are recorded in the Family Service Hour book and on RenWeb by the Volunteer Coordinator. Family Service Hours or the fee payment must be completed by April 30th. Please remember that per Diocesan policy, ALL adult volunteers must have their fingerprint background screening and Safe Environment training certificate on file in the administration building prior to volunteering around students and children.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FAMILY SERVICE HOURS:
Requirement for Families Receiving Financial Assistance
Families who receive financial assistance are asked to give back to the school an additional 10 volunteer family service hours. These hours may be completed by the student(s) and/or the parents with assistance at the school. These hours are also recorded in the Family Service Hour book and on RenWeb by the Volunteer Coordinator.